Senator William Brownsberger, Representatives David Rogers and Jonathan Hecht along with several other legislators and a coalition of bicycle, pedestrian and transportation advocates worked together to develop a bill, An Act to Reduce Traffic Fatalities, which includes several measures to improve road safety. This comprehensive road safety bill includes:
• childhood bicycle education
• large vehicle safety equipment improvements
• hands-free cellphone law
• lower speed limits on certain state roads
• defines a safe passing distance for vulnerable road users — bicycles, pedestrians
• limited authorization for automated enforcement cameras
• a statewide standardized crash report for first responders
• mandatory rear red light for cyclists biking at night
• other changes to the traffic laws to promote bicycle safety
Attend this public hearing to learn more about this important bill and to give testimony.
Click here to read our legislative FAQs on An Act to Reduce Traffic Fatalities.
24 Beacon St
Boston, MA 02133
Google map and directions