- Increased road safety awareness across municipal government departments
- Lowered speed limits citywide, with the additional goal of adding 65 new 20 mph safety zones near schools, senior centers, hospitals, and parks
- Improved infrastructure, including:
- Parking-protected bike lanes on Washington Street
- A mid-block crosswalk and flashing beacon at Union Square
- A separated bike lane being added to Beacon Street during its reconstruction
Somerville's Vision Zero work will need to center around aligning their transportation systems with other community-driven priorities, and continuing to advocate for Vision Zero within the context of large state-led projects like the Green Line Extension.
Somerville is using data-driven technical planning and community input to create a plan of one-, three-, and five-year actionable goals around engineering, education, and enforcement efforts. They will release their first Action Plan in 2018.